I'm not going on trip #1 (yes, I could cry, but I am going on trip #2). I do want to make sure that the visits with the kids goes well. Trying to get Brent ready for a trip lasting an entire month, pack orphanage donations, and pack stuff for them to do is a BIG JOB.
I know one of the things that I have asked people and one of the questions I always have had is "what to take for them to do". I thought I'd share our ideas with everyone, so you might have some ideas for your own journeys. It will also let you know what Brent will be doing with the kids. :)
I have packed each child's things for visits in a separate bag with their name on it. The girls also have a princess purse inside the bag that I think they will enjoy. There are other items that Brent will be using for multiple children and I'll get to those in another post. A huge factor in all of this is space. Imagine trying to take everything you need for a month, stuff to visit with 5 children and entertain them, and orphanage donations in the luggage that one person can handle alone!
Ahnja is our oldest over there so I thought I'd start with her.
Here is her "bag".
Here are the snacks that I'm sending and
I've given him instructions as to what else to pick up while he is there.
Here are her activities and things that I hope please her.
It was important to get as many things as possible to keep her busy as long as possible into a very small space. He will not be taking all of the items on the same day so that there will be "new" things each day.
What's in the bag?
- Small soft doll (most girls love dolls)
- 2 pair of sunglasses (girls love to dress up and she is SO beautiful!)
- Princess doll with clothing (it has rubbery clothes to change into and it will give me some ideas to her ability to pretend play as well as her fine motor skills, bc those clothes aren't easy)
- 6 bracelets (back to that dress up thing!)
- a Chinese yo-yo (it is small and my kids find them amusing)
- a purple ball (it lights up, bounces, and has an interesting texture)
- a package of rings (more dress up, bc I want her to feel special)
- a package of princess silly bands (she goes to school and I'm wondering if she has seen them there, but it is back to "dress up" too)
- a slinky (fun and small)
- a noise stick (small and it makes a noise when you turn upside down)
- Dora stickers (motor skills again, plus it will help decorate paper that is in one of the other activities packed separately)
- magic write on board (small and maybe she'll show Brent some of what she learns at school)
- 2 fruity sticks
- 3 packages of fruit snacks
Brent will pick up juice boxes, fruit, crackers, and/or cookies once he is there for more snacks.
I'll let you know on week 2 when he is visiting with her how well this "bag" goes over!